Monday, August 10, 2009

Future Public Speaker (unlike mommy)

Lil Man was assigned to give a talk in church and he took it VERY seriously. He has given talks before but has never wanted to be so completely independant when doing it (as in "Mom this is my talk not yours so I need you to give me some space to type" and "Why are you telling me what to write? I know what my brain wants to say"). He wrote the whole thing himself, looked up statistics on the computer, found pictures he wanted to use, and when there wasn't a picture he was looking for he just drew one. He did ask me if I would hold his pictures for him during the actual talk since he thought it would be hard to find his place if he had to keep track of the pictures too, however he was VERY specific about how to hold them and which words in the talk were my cue to change pictures. Lil man insisted we practise at least 10 times before church on sunday morning to make sure I wouldn't mess up (I think I did pretty well considering the pressure he was putting on me). He did a fantabulous job giving his talk complete with dramatic pauses and gestures toward the pictures being referenced, and he only swallowed the mic one time. I was the proud mommy up there with him yesterday although I probably made fool of myself getting all teary eyed over a talk that lasted a minute and a half. I am so grateful that his confidence in himself is growing. This summer has really been great in that department, he has been trying new things and not getting as frustrated when they are hard or he can't do them the first time. I love it!!
Since we can't exactly videotape in church we had Lil Man re-create his talk when we got home to share with all our friends and fam that are too far to see it in person (sorry if that is weird of me :) ). By the time we taped this he was pretty much over it, ready to change out of sunday clothes, and really hungry so it isn't quite as enthusiastic as the original, but you can get the gist of it. Please excuse the screeching birds, Davis calling us, and the ring tone going on in the background I only had one take. Oh yeah, and he insisted on holding the mic, it's just not a real talk with out it. (Just pause the music on the sidebar to hear it...sorry)

6 comments:

  1. can i have him? he is SO cute. what an awesome talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he is so grown up!! and that was a super good talk!! I can't believe he wrote that himself!! you have a genius on your hands!
    PS why aren't you holding the pics for him like you'd rehearsed? Did you get fired? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it make you feel better that I got teary-eyed too? :) He is SOO cute! Man, I wish we lived closer! He's growing up way too fast! And it really was such a good talk! Peter and I enjoyed it very much. What a fantastic kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I was there for the real thing. All I can say is GENIUS CHILD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Coulter!! I'm grateful for temples, too, and I'm especially grateful for you and your mommy and daddy. Your talk was excellent--very well written and very well presented. You are an excellent speaker!!
    Love,
    Grandma Loosli

    ReplyDelete