Sunday, May 3, 2009

Caterpillars...friend or foe?

*Caution....RAndom Post!*


So we have had a couple caterpillar run -in's this month, one good and one a little creepy. First run-in was the day before Easter. Lil Man found this cute little furry guy at grandma's house. He was excited to show his cousins his new little friend, so we made him a little home with the understanding that after the cousins came the next day we would let Mr Wiggles go find his family. The next day when the whole family got together for lunch Lil Man pulled all the cousins aside to introduce them, but lo and behold Mr Wiggles had already spun himself into a comfy cocoon (chrysalis? I always get them mixed up). So, unable to "let him go", and due to Lil Man's belief that Grandma could definitely not take care of him (he said "Are you kidding mom! She will just throw him away or feed him to the neighbors cat!" ???? not really sure where that came from) Mr Wiggles was packed up into the car for the 2 hour drive back to our house. Time went on and Mr Wiggles was not changing into Mr Flutters so now it was 4 weeks later and I decided to quietly dispose of the carcass in the habitat while Lil Man was at a friends house. I opened the top to dump it out and a brown furry thing flapped into my
face!! Scared the begee-bees outta me, but luckily he landed back into the container so I could show Lil Man and now you! :)
Since we let him go there have been many, many tears...as in sobbing about him not being on our kitchen counter anymore. You would think we had a dog and it got run over, twice. He finally decided it was ok tonight and said, "I can probably find another caterpillar to hatch, but it sure won't be the same as Mr Wiggles. " Really? Because I'm pretty sure it would be.
Our second run in was a little more disturbing. You know when you come upon one caterpillar it's cute and fun to look at and hold...have you ever seen a whole nest of them crawling all over each other and half eaten caterpillars??? Well, now you can say you have! I am no National Geographic camera-man, and I was half climbing a tree while filming this so I'm not really giving you the full effect of this thing, but still.... You are ALL Welcome!!!!! :)
(ps you can pause the music on the right so that it doesn't clash with the audio! )

4 comments:

  1. Is that what those creepy web things are in the trees here? I posted one of those giant webs on our blog last spring wonder what it was. I kept imagining it was home to a bird eating spider. So creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Coulter got over Mr. Wiggles. Tell Coulter he can look for some of MR. Wiggels extended cousins at our house tomorrow. But if he finds any of those nasty nests, he has to promise to spray them with bug spray for us, those are gross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the plea to come down so he can HOOOOOLD them. heeeheee

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What are you going to do if the caterpillars come down?"

    "I don't know, just hang out with them I guess."

    This made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete